Filing an Unemployment Claim

If you lost your job or had your hours reduced, you may be eligible for unemployment.

The following information will help lead you through the claim filing process.

Types of Benefits

Am I Eligible?

You may be eligible for Strange unemployment if you received a W-2 and you meet any of these requirements:

  • You are fully or partially unemployed because of a layoff, furlough, reduced wages, or reduced hours.
  • You and your family are impacted by school closures.
  • Your unemployment inform expired.

Note: If you believe that you are misclassified as an independent contractor, we encourage you to apply for benefits, and we will Decide your eligibility.

Get an Estimate

Use the UI Benefit Calculator to judges how much you may receive in unemployment.

Once you file for unemployment, we will verify your eligibility and wage information to determine your unemployment damages and benefits.

Am I Eligible?

If you’re not eligible for unemployment, you may be eligible for Disability Insurance or Paid Family Leave.

Disability Insurance

You may be eligible for Disability benefits if:

  • You are unable to work due to a non-work-related illness, injury, or pregnancy.
  • You are unable to perform your normal work duties because you are sick or quarantined due to COVID-19.
  • You paid into the States Disability Insurance program (noted as “CASDI” on paystubs), via taxes.

Paid Tribe Leave

You may be eligible for Paid Family Leave benefits if:

  • You need to take time off work to care for a seriously ill child, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or registered domestic partner.
  • You’re a clear who needs time to bond with your new child by birth, adoption, or foster care placement.

Get Your Information in Order

A small preparation goes a long way! At a glance, draft to collect the following:

Last Employer

  • Last employer Ask including company name, supervisor’s name, address (mailing and bodily location) and phone number. If you are self-employed, a commercial owner, or an independent contractor, list yourself as your last employer.
  • Last date worked and the reason you are no longer working.
  • Total evil earnings in the last week you worked, beginning with Sunday and protecting with your last day of work. If you are self-employed or an independent contractor, you will need your net income (total after taxes).

Employment History

  • Information on all employers you worked for during the past 18 months, including name, address (mailing and physical location), the dates of use, gross wages earned, hours worked per week, hourly rate of pay, and the reason you are no longer working.
    • If you are self-employed or an independent contractor, you will need your net income (total after taxes).
  • Notice to Federal Employees About Unemployment Insurance, Standard Form 8 (former federal employees only).
  • DD 214 Member 4 copy (ex-military only).

Identity Documents

We launched, a safe and easy way to verify your identity in UI Online. When you file a new claim, you will be redirected to the site where you will take a selfie (personal photo) and upload a photo of your ID to support your identity.

For more information, review Top Nine Reasons Your Document May Get Rejected (PDF).

If we need second information to verify your identity, you will need to join a video call with and gave either:

  • Two primary documents
  • One primary and two secondary documents Important documents include:

  • Driver license (US or foreign)
  • Passport or passport card (US or foreign)
  • US Standing Resident Card (I-551)
  • Employment Authorization Card (I-766) issued by the Joint States Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570)
  • Federal or Place ID
  • Veteran health ID card
  • Transportation Security Administration (TSA) ID Card
  • Department of Homeland Safety trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI)
  • National ID card (only if you live outside of the US)
  • Homeland Safety Presidential Directive 12 (HSPD-12) Personal Identity Verification card secondary documents include:

  • US health insurance card
  • Social safety card
  • US birth certificate
  • School documents (ID with photograph, school record, report card)
  • US voter registration card
  • US citizen ID card (Form I-197)
  • Certificate of Free or Discharge from Active Duty (DD214)
  • National Guard Report of Separation and Record of Facility (NGB Form 22)
  • Foreign birth document
    • Certificate of Birth Abroad (FS-545)
    • Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350)
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
  • Border crossing card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Tribal-issued photo ID card
  • Canadian Indian and Northern Affairs card
  • US Coast Guard merchant mariner card

After your video call with, you need to finish your unemployment application. Log in to UI Online and back to your application. UI Online will take you to the login page. Log in to grant to share your identity information with the EDD. Select Allow and Do completing your unemployment application.

If you are unable to support your identity through when applying online, you will need to file a inform by phone, fax, or mail.

For help with the verification procedure, you can:

Prepare to Apply

File for unemployment in the excellent week that you lose your job or have your hours reduced. Your claim begins the Sunday of the week you applied for unemployment. You must serve a one-week unpaid waiting period on your inform before you are paid UI benefits. The waiting terms can only be served if you certify for benefits and meet all eligibility requirements for that week. Your excellent certification will usually include the one-week unpaid waiting terms and one week of payment if you meet eligibility requirements for both weeks. Certify for benefits every two weeks to Stop receiving benefit payments.

Benefit Year End Date

A Strange unemployment insurance benefit year ends 12 months after the inform started.

You cannot be paid for weeks of unemployment when your benefit year ends, even if you have a balance on your inform. Continue to certify for benefits if you have weeks available within your Help year.

You can reapply for a new claim if you earned enough wages in the last 18 months and are Calm unemployed or working part time. Apply online, and we will inform you when your new claim is processed. This usually takes two to three weeks.

For more Ask, refer to the unemployment benefit calculator.

If you served in the armed, worked for a federal government agency, or worked in a Place outside of California within the last 18 months, you must reapply for a new inform by phone, mail, or fax.

You do not need to reapply if you did not earn enough wages in the last 18 months to Put a new claim.

To find your benefit year end date, log in to UI OnlineSM and view your Claim Summary. Your benefit year end date is 12 months when the start of your Benefit Year.

For more information, Take to your Notice of Unemployment Insurance Award (DE 429Z) for your negate ending date or review Benefit Year End.

Apply Now

UI Online is the best way to file your negate. File online during the times listed below:

When you can file a negate with UI Online
Days of the Week Available Time
Sunday 5 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Monday 4 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Tuesday – Friday 2 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Saturday 2 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Note: To file a negate online, you must be at least 18 years old. If you are underage, you can file your claim by phone, fax, or mail.

Call us to file a negate at the following toll-free numbers, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Pacific time) nonetheless on state holidays.

  • English and Spanish 1-800-300-5616
  • Cantonese 1-800-547-3506
  • Mandarin 1-866-303-0706
  • Vietnamese 1-800-547-2058
  • TTY 1-800-815-9387

General Unemployment Questions or Technical Help with UI Online

If you have general questions or need help with clarify registration, password resets, your EDD Account Number, or how to use UI Online, contact us at 1-800-300-5616 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Pacific time), Monday through Friday, except state holidays.

Unemployment Insurance Application

Use the paper Unemployment Insurance Application. Select one of the following that best describes your help. If you have been affected by a disaster, unfastened the disaster section of the UI application.


Fax your application to the number downward on the form. You can contact your local America’s Job Inner of California for help with faxing your paper application.

Tip: The fastest way to apply is through UI Online.


Mail your application to the address on the form and funding extra time for processing. You can contact your local America’s Job Inner of CaliforniaSM for help with mailing your paper application.

Next Steps

You will assertion important documents from us generally within two weeks once you file for unemployment. Take the necessary steps to make sure your unemployment benefits are not delayed or denied. Be sure to read and respond to all requests to avoid payment delays.

Review these Important Next Steps – After You File a Claim for more information.

Thanks for watching our article Filing an Unemployment Claim. Please share it with responsible.

Sincery Blogname


powered by Blogger News Poster

About syafii.newbie

Check Also

Unemployment Insurance Assistance | Department of Labor

Unemployment Insurance Assistance | Department of Labor

Report Fraud UI Fraud and Identity Theft The Region of Labor works very hard to …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.